Grilled cheese is about as American as it gets! Prepared on a frying pan or griddle, this hot sandwich is typically made with butter, margarine, and mayonnaise to create a cheesy delight between two slices of bread – and yes, the result is absolutely delightful. The grilled cheese came to popularity in the United States during the Great Depression, as it was delicious, filling, and affordable. The sudden boom of acceptance has carried over until today, with many food trucks, food carts, and even restaurants dedicating their menu to mastering the art of the grilled cheese sandwich.
Due to its popularity, there has been a lot of debate on how to create the ultimate grilled cheese at home. Our advice? It’s best to keep it simple ingredients-wise. The important part of creating this time-tested grilled sandwich is to pay careful attention to the heating of the butter, the melting of the cheese, and the grilling of the sandwich. Check out the exact ingredients and directions below:
• 2 pieces sourdough bread
• 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
• 3 slices cheddar cheese
1. On a cutting board, butter each piece of bread with butter on one side.
2. Flip the bread over and spread each piece of bread with mayonnaise.
3. Place the cheese on the buttered side of one piece of bread. Top it with the second piece of bread, mayonnaise side out.
4. Heat a nonstick pan over medium-low heat.
5. Place the sandwich on the pan, mayonnaise side down.
6. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Using a spatula, flip the sandwich over and continue cooking until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
8. Take it off the pan and enjoy some cheesy goodness!
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by The Heights at Park Row Apartments in Houston, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!